When the school opened it was also used as a Church on Sundays and Holy Days. The Church was not built until 1958.
In February 1983 the school was integrated into the State System.
With the progress of the city, the Northgate motorway was formed and a large section of the school playground was acquired by the New Plymouth City Council.
The school roll continued to grow and more classrooms were needed. In 1987 one classroom was built, and in 1991 two more were moved onto the site, to replace relocatable rooms in poor condition.
1992 was an exciting year for the school. Not only did we celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the school, but also the opening of an Administration block and staff room.
In 1994/95 two classrooms were built and extensive renovations made to the main classroom block. In 1996 the final stage (we thought) of upgrading with the long awaited library and upgrade to the toilet block was completed. However in 1999 our eighth classroom and resource/withdrawal rooms were built.
The year 2001 saw the roll grow again. Our maximum roll was increased to 240 pupils.
In 2016 due to major growth our maximum roll was again increased to 275 and this has been deemed our maximum capacity for students due to space. This saw an 11th classroom arrive and what would lead us to a whole school modernisation and flexible learning spaces. This includes breakout spaces and kitchens for our children to learn in.
Today we are a very modern and proud Catholic School serving our community.
John Bosco founded a congregation of religious sisters called The Daughters of Our Lady Help of Christians, and an order for mission priests – the Salesians. Today in 49 nations these Orders will carry on the work John Bosco began.
He died in 1888. He was canonized in 1934 and his feast day is on 31 January each year.
Classes attend Parish Mass weekly and once a term there is a Parish and School Mass with input from our children and families.
A Priest from St Joseph’s New Plymouth is asked to be our spiritual advisor each term. We are fortunate to have the services of Fr Sanjay Pradhan also, to look after our school. Staff Special Character training is taken up through the Pastoral Centre in Palmerston North. The School has an appointed Director of Religious Studies.
Mr Dee Luckin
Mrs Katie Smith
Mr Ryan Fleming
Mrs Brenda Wright
Mrs Erin Savage
Mrs Jodie Mehana
Mr Matthew Moorby
Mrs Trisha Welsh
Miss Natalie Jones
Miss Renee Coffey
Mrs Bethany Haveswood
Miss Catherine Allen
Mrs Keryn Fothergill
Mrs Deahne Peck Aro
Mrs Andrea Pretty-Stone
Mr Brent Holswich
Mrs Merryn Quinn, Mrs Inthira Maniam, Mrs Cherie Smith, Mrs Tracey Morris, Miss Tanisha Perrett
Mrs Rini Sochidin
Mrs Martha Blackmore