About St John Bosco
St John Bosco was born in Italy in 1815. He loved children and consecrated his whole life to them. He was a Priest who established a home for young boys, many of whom were orphans. It provided education and training as well as care.
John Bosco founded a congregation of religious sisters called The Daughters Of Our Lady Help Of Christians, and an order for mission Priests—The Silesians. Today in 49 nations these orders will carry on the work St John Bosco began.
He died in 1888. He was canonized in 1934 and his feast day is on 31st January each year.
In-depth History of St John Bosco School
St John Bosco School was established 79 years ago. It consisted of three classrooms and was staffed by the Sisters of the Mission. These dedicated sisters lived at a Convent in town and travelled daily by tram to teach at our school. Previously there were classes in a nearby homestead on a farm belonging to the Cameron family. This house was also used as a Mass Centre for the people of Fitzroy.
The school opened in 1942 and was also used as a Church on Sunday’s and on Holy Days. The Church was not built until 1958.
In February 1983 the school was integrated into the state system.
With the progress of the city, Northgate Motorway was formed and a large section of the school playground was acquired by the New Plymouth City Council.
The school roll continued to grow and more classrooms were needed. In 1987 one classroom was built, and in 1991 two relocateables were moved onto the site.
1992 was an exciting year for the school. Not only did we celebrate the Golden Jubilee of the school, but also the opening of an Administration block and staff room.
In 1994/95 two classrooms were built and extensive renovations made to the main classroom block. In 1996 the final stage (we thought) of upgrading the long awaited library and upgrade of the toilet block was completed. In 1999 our eighth classroom and resource/withdrawal rooms were built.
Year 2001 saw the roll grow again. Our maximum roll was increased to 240. A ninth classroom and more administration space were needed.
The neighbouring section was purchased by the Parish.
This became (A) a car park, (B) the present library, (C) the junior playground. A new staffroom, entranceway, office/reception area, sickbay, meeting room and IT learning area was blessed and opened by Bishop Owen Dolan on Sunday 22nd August 2004.
Next page: Catholic Character